Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Mid-June at the Club


We've had two Friday's back now, keeping the numbers down (fewer then 10 players) and trying to be safe while getting the mental break gaming gives us.  



On the first Friday we just had two games.  Eric and I refought the Battle of the Denmark Strait using his own homebrew naval rules, Salt Spray & Cordite and 1:1200 miniatures. I ran the Bismarck and the Prinz Eugen while Ken ran HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Hood. Neither Ken nor I used the historical tactics, and I never got very lucky with my rolls, Hood survived many hits from my vessels, and while Prinz Eugen survived the battle, Bismarck went down in a resounding victory for the British! My biggest regret was I didn't take any pictures of game! But Ken provided me after the fact with pics of the models, at least.



Meanwhile, Chris and Chuck were playing Saga, respectively Norse-Gaels versus Anglo-Danes.



Despite jocular assertions that the Anglo-Danes were an unbalanced 'Master Race' in Saga, Chris' Norse-Gaels fought them to a tie on points. 


This past Friday we ran three games, Wayne and Eric G played Black Sails, French versus British in the 'capture the fort' scenario. 

With the fort in the center the two fleets sail into danger.



Soon both sides were exchanging broadsides and bombarding the fort.


Caught in a crossfire of French broadsides,
a British 3rd rate ship of the line catches fire and strikes its colors,
but before the French can board her she exploded!

In the end, neither side one, as they both demolished the objective, the island fort, with multiple broadsides. 

We also got a couple Kings of War games played.

Ken played his Northern Alliance list versus
Paul's Bondswords, a Kingdoms of Men list.
We played the Control scenario.

Ken's wolves swept away Lance Company on the Bondswords
left and went on to clear the flank of Sword Company as well.

In the end, Ken destroyed most of my troops but we tied
 since we each only earned 2 victory points.

The lesson I took from the game is I needed to field some wizards with the heal spell to make the Bondswords competitive. But I still rather dislike Kings of War, not my kind of fantasy wargame at all. I prefer the old 2nd edition Battlesystem, but aside from some scenario games I won't get that with my fellow club members. I do prefer Kings of War to Age of Sigmar, which we were playing last year. 

Meanwhile, alongside us Chris took his Orc army up against Chuck's undead legions in another Kings of War match up. 

Chris places troops as orcs and undead prepare to clash!

It doesn't take long for the two lines of evil
to converge near the center of the battlefield.

An impressive, club wielding giant
fought alongside the orc army!

In the center the battle was fierce, mostly swirling
about the Krudger on a Winged Slasher..

In the end, the undead overwhelmed the orcs, with the
Krudger on a Winged Slasher.finally falling and the 
undead claiming the victory.


No comments:

Post a Comment